Finding a home you love can bring so much joy to your life, but the process of moving can have the opposite effect.
Moving house is considered to be one of the most stressful life experiences because it’s a daunting task. Consequently, many homeowners just want to get it over and done with as quickly as possible, but this is where a lot of mistakes happen.
With so many removal companies out there, how do you choose the right one?
Shawn Beeby from Johannesburg Movers says a lot of people deal with many unscrupulous, so-called movers who either take their deposits and never arrive for the job or pitch up hours or days later. He says even worse are companies that hire casual staff from the streets, who steal or damage the customer’s belongings.
So how do you pick the right moving company?
Shawn shares some helpful tips…
1. Find out how long the business has been operating for. Most fly-by-nights don’t last long.
2. Find out about the condition of the trucks, ask the moving company to send you a photo of the truck that will be collecting your goods. Many companies use old, dilapidated trucks which are poorly maintained, so be vigilant.
3. Is the company affiliated with the Professional Movers Association? If not, there must be a good reason.
4. Word of mouth is usually a great way to find a reputable moving company. Having had first-hand experience working with a moving company, happy customers, whether they’re family or friends, can recommend a suitable service provider.
5. Before making up your mind on a particular moving company, have a look at their social media. Check out the company’s Facebook page and read what people have to say about them.
Alternatively, you could access Hellopeter to get a better idea of what people think.
6. Does the company offer GIT (Goods in transit) Insurance? Ask them who they’re insured with and find out if it’s legit.
Now that you have found the right company, what should you do prior to the move?
1. Get organised.
2. Download a checklist from the internet.
3. Order packing materials way in advance of the move.
4. Start packing early so that you don’t end up rushing through everything the day before your big move. Taking on too much the day before the move is not a good idea as you’re going to need your energy on the day of the move.
5. If you have kids get them involved and make it fun. Get them excited about the new house.
6. Pack a box with all your essentials.
7. Take photos of how your electronics are connected so that you can reconnect them easily in your new home.
8. Make use of laundry bins and suitcases - this will cut down on the number of boxes you’ll need for the move.
9. Make use of a colour coding system, it works best.
10. Pack a lunch box with cold drinks.
11. Prior to the movers arriving, make sure you know where all the furniture must be placed in your new home. This will help avoid any delays and confusion.
12. If you’re moving to an estate or complex, ensure that the moving truck is allowed onto the premises. Many places only allow up to 3 ton trucks onto their premises so make allowances for that. If you need an alternative, get a shuttle.
13. Make sure you take out All Risk Insurance with the removal company or your own insurance company as GIT Insurance only covers the client if the truck catches on fire, gets involved in a collision or overturns.
14. If you have pets, have a friend watch them while you’re busy.
15. Leave the rest to the professionals - sit back, relax and remember to have a good night’s sleep the day before your move.